From Sickness, to wellness, to fitness.
Survive & Thrive is a wellness program that supports women as they transition to a new life after cancer, encouraging them to make positive changes in their health, fitness, and overall well-being.
The program was founded by Doctors Berit Madsen, M.D. and Sheila Lally, D.O., also co-founders of Peninsula Breast Center. The two cancer experts created the program to empower women who have completed cancer treatment to achieve and maintain a healthy life style, as well as decrease the chance of cancer recurrence.
“I think of Survive & Thrive as my bridge to better health after finishing treatment. I really needed help crossing from ‘victim’ to ‘survivor’.” – Karen, Participant, 2013
After Treatment, What’s Next?
Women who have completed their cancer treatment often feel physically run down, have a lack of confidence, feel uncertainty about their future health, and experience a sense of loneliness. Survive & Thrive works to help women to become educated and excited about establishing healthy eating habits and fitness routines, while providing a community of support.
“Many cancer patients who wrap up treatment experience a void. The surgery’s over, the treatment is done, the frequency of doctors’ appointments slows.” –Sheila Lally, D.O.
In an 8-week series of exercise, education, and support activities, Survive & Thrive participants typically benefit from:
- Increased energy
- Overall increase in strength and flexibility
- Increased knowledge of nutrition
- Weight loss
- Improved emotional well being
An Eight- Week Health and Fitness Experience.
Survive & Thrive guides and supports a small group of women through a well-rounded program of health and wellness activities with fellow cancer survivors and encouraging, knowledgeable coaches in health and wellness.
“It’s hard work, but it’s also fun.” – Diane, Participant, 2012
- Diet & Nutrition: Participants receive education on diet and nutrition basics, meal planning, and healthy eating habits. These concepts are reinforced through cooking demonstrations, food tastings, and recipe swaps.
- Exercise & Fitness: Participants have access to Poulsbo Athletic Club and Kitsap Crossfit for scheduled Survive & Thrive group workouts and for individual exercise. Participants are encouraged to take advantage of the gym memberships on their own, using worksheets with suggested cardiovascular, core, and strength training exercises.
- Support & Community: Group meetings enable participants to share progress, encouragement, and support. Along the way, they form valuable relationships with women facing similar challenges.
The program is for women of all fitness levels – from those just starting out with an exercise program to those experienced with health and wellness regimens.
How Does the Program Work?
Each Survive & Thrive session runs for 8 weeks with group activities held on weekday evenings. Participants are expected to attend the initial kick-off meeting, group meetings, and group workouts. They are encouraged to think of the program as their ‘wellness boot camp’ – the greater the commitment and involvement, the greater the results.
Participants receive weekly program emails with activity updates, encouragement, healthy tips, and helpful resources. The Survive & Thrive Facebook page also keeps current participants and program alumni engaged and informed.
Cost: A program contribution of $200 per member is requested. Scholarships are available, upon request, for financial hardship.
Location: All group meetings are held at Peninsula Cancer Center, 19917 Seventh Ave, Suite 100, in Poulsbo.
For More Information
Ann Asher, RN
Peninsula Breast Center
(360) 697 – 8024